A recent trend in the gaming industry is the announcements of DLCs for games that have yet to be even released and it seems this trend might get even worse in the future to come.
DLC stands for Downloadable Contents and its used to be a way for developer to release extra contents for games that are 2 or more years old give it some life and extra longevity. Some were free and other costs money but its was a system that many gamers enjoyed and welcomed.
However that has changed of the past years as companies have exploited that system and twisted it to benefit them rather than the consumer. Now developers and gaming companies are announcing DLC’s before a game has even been revealed, as part of their marking strategy and they would lock away contents or take away contents form a game and call it Day 1 DLC, Season passes or DLC that would come down later on.
The worst part about it is that we as gamer are feeding them the power they need to continue on with it. Our pride in wanting to own something before someone else has clouded our judgment on this matter. We encouraged them by continuing to preorder games from devs that commit these vile practices and them we complain about it later. We cry out and complain about it, but we do shit about it.
WE ARE THE PROBLEM MY FELLOW GAMERS.
And now a new issue which might spark a new revolution of DLC’s and it could start with the announcement of Batman: Arkham Knight DLC. Rocksteady has revealed as season pass for upcoming game, a dlc that cost $40. Yes you read right $40?. Thats pretty much the price for a brand new game. You are practically paying $100 for one game. Let that sink in for a while.
Here are the content that will come in this DLC:
- Batgirl: A Matter of Family — An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series – check out the first render of Batgirl.
- The Season of Infamy — Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.
- Gotham City Stories — Play as Batman’s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks — Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile’s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.
- Crimefighter Challenge Maps — Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.
- Character Skins — A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman.
Can you justify the price of this DLC? And even if you said that the price is OK if its a once off (which its not) if they had already thought of all this content ahead of time, why not delay the game and add this content in the game and give us the complete version.
Down the line you are gonna hear of a GOTY edition were all of said above dlc content plus the extra once that might pop up in the future will be bundled together and will come at $50 or $40.
We got Gabe to take down the paid mod system on steam extremely quick so why haven’t we done the same with these ridiculous DLC bullshit.
So here is a game for you guys to play, everyones is going to watch E3 2015 to catch the latest announcements for all things gaming, count how many times the word DLC comeS up?